Swift is a programming language developed by Apple Inc for iOS and OS X development.The first public release of Swift was released in 2010.
It took Chris Lattner almost 14 years to come up with the first official version, and later, it was supported by many other contributors.
Swift has been included in Xcode 6 beta.
Swift designers took ideas from various other popular languages such as
The power of Swift
- Adopts the best of C and Objective-C, without the constraints of C compatibility.
- Swift uses the same runtime as the existing Obj-C system on Mac OS and iOS.
- Swift programs run on many existing iOS 6 and OS X 10.8 platforms.
- Swift makes use of safe programming patterns.
- Swift provides modern programming features.
- Swift provides Objective-C like syntax.
- Swift is a fantastic way to write iOS and OS X apps.
- Swift provides seamless access to existing Cocoa frameworks.
- Swift unifies the procedural and object-oriented portions of the language.
- Swift does not need a separate library import to support functionalities like input/output or string handling.
- Swift comes with playground feature where Swift programmers can write their code and execute it to see the results immediately.